- Mini pumpkin pies (basically pumpkin custard smoothed into cooked pastry dough and baked in a muffin pan).
- Pumpkin pancakes. My favorite recipe is from the fabulous Weelicious website. (You don't have to use rice milk; I use whatever kind I have on hand.)
- Pumpkin smoothies: yogurt, banana, pumpkin puree, orange juice.
- Pumpkin smoothies II/popsicles: pumpkin puree, frozen mango pieces, banana. Pour the leftovers into popsicle molds.
- San Marzano
- St. Pierre
- Cherokee Purple
- and the greatest of these is... Sun Gold! These sweet cherry tomatoes have been producing for two months and are still at it.
- butternut squash
- basil, basil, basil
- bell peppers
SQUARE FOOT GARDENING
Your choice of 3 different dates:
- Saturday, August 22 (Oak Room)
- or Saturday, October 17 (Oak Room)
- or Monday, October 26 (Bamboo Room)
Jo Ann Carey, instructor
$22 members/$25 non-members
Please call 626.821.4623 to register
Nothing compares to the flavor of food that is grown in healthy soil, without pesticides, and allowed to grow until just the right time for harvesting. Square foot gardening uses only 20% of the land space of a conventional garden and saves both water and time. There is no tilling of the soil so anybody can do it. This method will be fully explained so you may create your own square foot garden, with lessons on setup, planting, watering, growing vertically, pest control and harvesting.