Sunday, October 25, 2009

Picture Perfect

My garden is home to many spiders. With the exception of the black widows, I'm happy to see them. But, unlike the birds, they've never set me rushing, breathlessly, to reach for a field guide. Until a couple weeks ago. That's when I sauntered onto my patio and saw the image above.

From a glance at my copy of Insects of the Los Angeles Basin (published by the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County), I'm guessing it's a Green Lynx Spider (Peucetia viridans). The book says the adults do not entrap their prey in webs, but rather pounce on them.

3 comments:

  1. I've also got the same book in hand (its author, the late, wondrous Charles Hogue, will never know what he gave LA with that guide, which has never been matched). And, I agree, it does look like a green lynx, a delicate one. NOW! if it's a female have you found the straw-colored egg sac with 25 to 600 bright orange eggs? Or, better, the also orange spiderlings? Please snoop, with camera in hand! More spiders, always, please, Yours in arachnophiliia... EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't found the egg sacs, but you bring up a touchy issue. Some of our spider friends like to secure egg sacs in the bottom of my sons toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilsa - so nice to read your blog. I didn't know that the lynx spider pounces on its prey. We have lots of them - quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts